Image Map

April 29, 2017

Spring Break and Surgery: 3/13/17 - 3/26/17

So this is an unusual post for me because it isn't the "activity of the week" but I felt like this post merited a special approach to it.

Spring break was bittersweet for us because we had the impending knowledge that our son, Lincoln would be having surgery to remove his tonsils, adenoids, and new tubes put into his ears.

It all began with this photo selfie taken at Christmas:

Normally, most people wouldn't notice a thing, but my speechie senses were tingling when I thought to myself "Now what on earth was Lincoln eating before we took this photo?!" after we got home from the event.  I kept pinching and zooming into Link's mouth area to get a closer look and I quickly realized those were his tonsils.  And they were getting HUGE!  Once I thought about this, I thought back to his recent status and realized he was exhibiting other unusual and concerning symptoms such as mouth breathing, sleep apnea and snoring, a regression of eating habits, and other things that only a mother/SLP can sense.  So, we headed straight back to the ENT who indeed confirmed all of my suspicions and recommended what I was expecting: surgery. 

So, our family prepared itsself and gathered strength for what we knew would be a stressful journey. Especially for a 16 month old.  Here is us before: 

Here are a few snapshots from the morning of (toddlers are REALLY hard to contain in a medical setting, just FYI...):

("I want to climb EVERYthing...")

 ("What adventure are we getting into?") ...Little did he know

 ("This is what I think of you telling me where I can go and what I can do!")

The surgery went well.  All was fine and dandy and we spent the evening at the hospital for monitoring to ensure Link was getting what he needed for immediate recovery.

At first, he acted like nothing had happened.  He didn't love the IV and oxygen lines he was attached to while he was at the hospital but he adapted well. We got him home and everything was GREAT!  He was eating, drinking, and acting normal.  The doctor warned us that he could do well in the beginning but might hit some rough patches once the scabs on his throat fell off/out.

Spring break was at and end and things were looking up. Then... well, my husband Phil had to go out of town for a business trip for a week and my parents had to go back home to remodel their kitchen.  School started back and that's when Lincoln's fine disposition began to.... waver.  No, really, it basically tanked and he turned into an angry, fussy, pained toddler who only wanted to be held and rocked and consoled.  So.... I took the whole week off. I had to. It was just me, no supports, and he was my priority.  At first it was very hard because all he wanted to do was cry:

Slowly he began to feel better and we had some great moments to bond.  He began to eat and walk more and was generally getting out of his funk and feeling like his old self:

And now he is back to his happy self and we are just taking things one day at a time and grateful that he didn't need anything more drastic in order to help him feel better.  He has been thriving and we only wish that we had considered the procedure sooner but it all worked out in the end.

Happy speeching!

No comments:

Post a Comment